Medical terminology is the language used to describe components and processes of the human body, medical procedures, diseases, disorders, and pharmacology. Simply put, it is the vocabulary that medical professionals use to describe the body, what it does, and the treatments they prescribe.
People who work in the healthcare industry use medical terminology daily. If you’ve not received formal medical training but work with professionals who have, it is extremely helpful to have a grasp of medical terminology.
However non-clinicians need not feel daunted by the complexity of language used in primary care. This one day course has been designed for those who would benefit from understanding the component parts of medical terminology.
An understanding of medical terminology is essential for anyone working in the medical industry. Delegates of this introduction to medical terminology will reap the benefits of the course immediately and will be able to apply the learning to everyday situations in their place of work. This course will enable you to develop effective ways to remember medical terms and understand how to break medical terms into roots, prefixes and suffixes.
The objectives of this introduction to medical terminology course are to enable delegates to:
- Explain the concept that medical terminology can be broken down into component parts of prefixes, root words and suffixes
- State the meanings of commonly used prefixes, suffixes and root words in medical terms
- Decipher terminology associated with various diseases
- Recognise commonly used abbreviations and medical symbols
- Obtain a fundamental understanding of the body structure and systems
- Explain the six categories in which the body is studied.
All delegates will be provided with a course manual and will be issued with a certificate upon completion of the course.
This course is delivered through our partners Medical Services Training